Scrappy Journal Part 1

art journal pages tutorial

NOTHING gets wasted when I do fabric painting. I even save the paper cloths that I mop up with.

art journal pages tutorial

I just can't throw away anything that colourful!
I think I first saw this technique in this book by Traci Bautista.
It is so simple and a great way to re-cycle paper cloths that would otherwise end up in the rubbish bin.
It's like creating your own art supplies for free.

This is a quick over view of what I do.

art journal pages tutorial

Separate the two layers of tissue that you usually get, and lay them onto a non stick surface. I am using an old plastic tray here.
Using an old wide brush and a mixture of approx. 3 parts water to 1 part PVA glue, flatten the tissue down onto the surface.
I iron the tissue flat first because it is easier to work with. (I avoid ironing my family's clothes if possible, but I am happy to iron used paper towels!!) 

art journal pages tutorial

Keep adding layer upon layer of  tissue until you are happy. You can put down blocks of colour or tear up strips to add more interest. You can also cut out shapes or trap things between the layers.

art journal pages tutorial

Three to four layers are usually enough, maybe less if you buy the posh stuff!!

art journal pages tutorial

Wait for it all to dry thoroughly and then it can be folded and cut up to make pages like these.

art journal pages tutorial

They can also be cut into shapes to make a paper quilt.

art journal pages tutorial

  These pages have gone into a Scrappy Journal that I will share with you next time.

art quilting

Comments

  1. When you say "paper cloths" is that what we North Americans would call "paper towels" do you know? From the pictures, the texture looks the same but I just want to be sure.

    I use my batting and large-ish scraps of fabric for wipe-ups with interesting results - never thought of using paper towels although I've been cleaning my nail polish off with paper towels and saving them for some unknown reason. (Crazy person alert!)

    I'll have to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Was having trouble commenting on your blog too - and tried hitting the preview button a couple of times until it showed up properly - pressed post and there I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is amazing. We call it kitchen roll down here. I so love this idea. I have been making a couple of journals with watercolour paper, but this I am in love with especially the locking items in side. Gosh you are very clever. I just love every-thing you do.
    So Kit we are waiting for nail polish journals now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts